Digital Security

Learn how to keep your digital identity secure while traveling.

How to Secure your Accounts

If you use Gmail and lose your phone, you may be locked out forever if you're not prepared. Identify a trusted recovery person. Do this ASAP.
  1. Google: Security > Recovery
  2. Set the phone and email to someone you trust.
  3. If you have an icloud account, do the equivalent.
Lock Screen Emergency Contact
  1. On your phone, you can either list an individual to be an emergency contact, or enter free text and include emergency contact details. If you lose your phone, some good Samaritan will know who to call.
  2. You can also write or print out details on a small piece of paper and store it behind your phone case.

Passwords
  1. Use a different, random password for every website and service. Chrome and Edge have this tool built-in, or use the LastPass Password Generator
  2. Let your browser or LastPass remember your passwords, or save them in a secure file. I use an app called FairNote, which can encrypt notes with biometric verification. I save the password for every service in a different note, then backup all of them to Google Drive. If I lose my phone, or when I upgrade, I can import all of my encrypted notes back into my phone.
Two-Step Verification
  1. When possible, setup two-step verification for every service you have.
  2. At the most basic, you can require verifying a text message when you log in.
  3. More preferable, though, you should use an authenticator app, such as Microsoft Authenticator and Google Authenticator.
Install an Extra Security App
  1. Once my phone is unlocked, everything is fair game. So I installed another app that requires a code for logging into select apps. The two I recommend looking into are Smart AppLock and Norton App Lock. Now I have to type in a four-digit code every time I open my banking app. And I still need to enter my password or biometric verification.
Freeze your Credit
  1. Freeze credit inquiries to all three credit bureaus. Always use official websites.
    1. Experian
    2. TransUnion
    3. Equifax
  2. You'll need to register for each service, which is free. As before, use random passwords and require two-step verification for logging in if possible.
Lock your Debit and Credit Cards
In most banking apps, you can freely lock and unlock your debit and credit cards. Lock them. Unlock them when you need to, then lock them again.

Travel Notice
Most banks need to be notified when you are traveling. You might be able to do this in your banking app, are you can call your bank and let them know when you are traveling and where. Otherwise, your debit cards are credit cards might be blocked automatically. 

Consider a VPN
Look into virtual private networks apps for your phone and why they might be good for your situation. Avoid free VPN apps, and read up on paid apps to know how they use and/or sell your data. Remember: nothing comes free in life, and if it's too good to be true, it probably is. They're mottos to live by. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Safety